• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermenting time seems much too long

parkerbrewing

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi from New Zealand.
Can you help. I am a new all grain brewer. Have a really nice FARRA brewing set up, made right here in NZ. I use BeerSmith do everything by the book. BUT my beer takes forever to reach its FG
In fact I am keying at 1.026 after 8 weeks.
It is a pilsner beer, brewed in temp controlled unit (13 deg C), using two smack packs wyeast 2009
I am happy with the taste at this stage but why does it take soo long
Any help would be appreciated
Michael

If you are not doing a yeast starter, then that would help a lot.  For lagers, a gallon jug would be the simplest way to begin. 

You can search here or use Google for tips on that, but Lagers especially need lots of yeast cells to fully ferment the wort in 3-4 weeks. 

Two packs of yeast and two liters of approx. 1.030 starter wort would greatly increase the cell count.  Use the yeast starter calculator in BSmith or at Mr. Malty.com to see how many yeast cells are needed for what you're brewing. 

What was your starting gravity?  Maybe this is as faar as you go.  I've made beers at 10% who's final gravity was "high".  What does your recipe predict as the final gravity?  Maybe your mash didn't convert completely and there are lots of unfermentables left.

Thanks for your help

Brewer: Michael
Batch Size: 13.21 gal Style: American Amber Ale ( 6B)
Boil Size: 16.27 gal Style Guide: BJCP 1999
Color: 4.2 SRM Equipment: Mash Turn 50L
Bitterness: 30.8 IBUs Boil Time: 120 min
Est OG: 1.053 (13.0° P) Mash Profile: Double Infusion, Medium Body
Est FG: 1.013 SG (3.3° P) Fermentation: Lager, Single Stage
ABV: 5.3% Taste Rating: 30.0

FG est is 1.013 I could only get mine down to 1.026 then needed something to drink at Christmas!!

I use a 4litre starter with 2 smack packs on a stir plate
Mash conversion was75%

Something that has helped my fermentations along is giving the fermenter a good swirl every couple of days after the initial fermentation has calmed down.  It "rouses" up the yeast.  I have never used the particular yeast that you are using, but I have encountered some yeasts that are stubborn, or just plain flocculate to quickly.  Something else that may help is a yeast nutrient added to the boil, or upping the calcium in your mash/brewing water.  The water that I have here in Virginia only has 30ppm Ca, and I've read that yeast needs a minimum of 50ppm to really be effective, so I add gypsum or calcium chloride (depending on if I'm wanting hoppy or malty) to bring up the Ca level to ~100ppm.

Michael,

Did you oxygenate your wort? Splashing, an aquarium air pump, or oxygen injection will increase yeast reproduction in the fermenter. There are several threads in this forum that will give you details.

Back