• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Integrating the BeerBug, with beersmith

m750

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many beersmith users jumped on the beerbug Kick starter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/parasitx/the-beerbugtm-digital-hydrometer/posts

But I'm expecting mine in the coming weeks, and I was wondering if there is a BeerSmith Api, for logging fermentation parameters to your brew log.

I'd love to be able to write some code to allow my beer bug to update the fermentation profile, along with SG over time, from the bug. Since the bug will have an app, as well as an api.

AO

Thanks,
  I don't have an interface for this but BeerXML can be used for import/export of recipes.

If the demand is there we can certainly look at a tighter interface in the future.

Brad

Wow, that is a neat concept. Wouldn't the open API at the $270 pledge level mean that Beersmith  would be able to receive the data?

Thanks Brad,
Does the import/export feature allow for overwriting recipes? Ideally I'd be able to update the recipe that's in my brew log, with the fermentation profile achieved, as well as sg, fg, etc.
If the interfacing were generic enough, it would facilitate both the beer bug guys, as well as those who have ardwino based solutions.
Aaron

I am here in Hampton, a heavy BeerSmith user, and now friends with Taylor, Ross and John, the three guys working fulltime at ParasitX on the BeerBug.

I've used it and it's awesome. I have one and am going to be buying several more.

John, their programmer, and I (a former dot-com programmer from the valley, now active-duty military in Virginia just down the road from them and practically a full-time brewer) have talked - last night actually - about how to integrate features.

BeerSmith is by far the best tool for recipe planning and even the brew process - it's awesome. But once the yeast is pitched, there's only a few things BeerSmith does (like add in the gravity readings once when you're done). BeerBug on the other hand has some amazing real-time data features, and it's already fully cloud enabled, so I think the logical connection would be an application add-on for BeerSmith that uses the BeerBug API and cloud features to attach the data coming from the brew in near-real time to the recipe. The current gravity and ABV features are great, but so is the ability to tell you how close to the style your fermentation is going, and how close it is to being complete (a feature I absolutely love). And with BeerSmith Mobile (as well as with their mobile interface), it's already got the data.

Just seems to me all too logical to integrate.

And I wouldn't worry about the kickstarter and $270; for integration into BeerSmith, they'd probably be all too happy to provide the API. BeerSmith has a huge market following that just exposure to would help them get more sales. They've already sold out their initial production run way ahead of schedule so they know they've got a viable product with a good future, but exposure to the huge amount of BeerSmith users is going to help validate their next round of funding.

Even if the application add-on for BeerSmith 2 and BeerSmith Mobile cost users a few dollars, they would probably offer that for sales (as well as BJCP on their website) both allowing users of both products to fully integrate the data into a single slick interface. I know I'd pay $5-10 for an app add-on to allow the two to work together, provided it was a nice interface addition and gave me a good feature set.

Back