• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Acid Rest Question

JimForbes

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am putting together my first full grain beer recipe using the BIAB method ;D  I have built the recipe and am using a BIAB, pilsner step mash profile in beersmith2.  I am a little unsure of the very 1st step, Acid Rest.  Can someone explain how this is done?  I.e. how much liquid do I add at this stage?  I am doing a 23l batch and the next stage, Protein Rest, states add 26.42l at 37.5degC.

Happy New Year to All
Jim

Jim, no need for an acid rest.  Long ago it was used to lower mash pH but it could take awhile to get to the appropriate pH level.  If you want to adjust your ph just use mineral additions.

Mark

Probably skip the protein rest as well. I would choose a different mash profile like BIAB, Medium Body.

Yep, for your first all grain day keep it simple: single infusion. Your day will be busy enough without the hassle ofa mmulti step mash.

Today's grains are more highly modified than they were in the past, eliminating the need for step mashing. Single infusion will work just fine.

Back