• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Lost everything - More than once

kontrol

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

It happened to me quite a few time already where I would save my recipe, close the app and come back later to see that the recipe is still here, but nothing in the ingredient list or anything I did set was here anymore. It did happen to me on a normal 1 computer setup use.

It also happened to me, in the middle of the brew..., where I would open beersmith on my other computer and noticed that everything was gone.

I recently installed beersmith on 2 computer. In each of these, I changed the working folder to a network folder each can access. This way I could access my recipe from both computer. I was wondering what would happen if both app are open, I design one recipe in app#2, close app#1, and open app#1 again. I think this process made me loose my recipes and equipment once. Is everything serialized and overridden in the working folder when you close the application? If so It might explain one of the case I lost my recipe (but not when I was only using it on one computer in default working directory).

Both completer are Windows 8 Pro.

Any news/input on this? This makes the software kinda unusable as long as the pattern(s) cannot be identified at least.

You can't run from both computers at once over a network drive.  There are no locks in place to prevent the programs from overwriting each other which will result in data loss (as you have shown).  I don't even recommend you run from a network drive for this reason.  It won't work.

The best way to share recipes across machines is to use the cloud folder - which is properly locked and synched so you can't lose data.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
You can't run from both computers at once over a network drive.  There are no locks in place to prevent the programs from overwriting each other which will result in data loss (as you have shown).  I don't even recommend you run from a network drive for this reason.  It won't work.

The best way to share recipes across machines is to use the cloud folder - which is properly locked and synched so you can't lose data.

Brad

If I make sure I only have 1 instance running at any time and close it before I open the other one would it work?

Also I lost everything when I was using all the default config (1 instance, no network drive... etc). Do you know what could produce this?

Back