• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

kegerator????????

D

daytona_klob

hey can anyone tell me how i can find the cooling lines on my old skool mini fridge i want to make it into a kegerator. i would like to put a draft tower on top but don't want to hit any cooling lines can any one tell how to tell where they are thanks

DOes the fridge have a cooling plate that is visible in the interior of the fridge?  If it does and it runs along the sides, you are fine to penatrate to top of the fridge.

If you can't figure it out, gently drill a small hole where you want to run the lines, and poke around with a nail set or probe and see if there is anything there.   There could also be wiring (not likely) but start small  and don't go past the skin.

A good trick is to take the plastic top of the fridge off (if it has one).  Then unplug it.  Mix up a solution of rubbing alcohol and cornstarch to paint consistency.  Smear this stuff all over the metal top and re-plug it in.  

If there is a freon line, when you plug it in it will heat up and cause the paint to dry faster in certain spots.....causing the cornstarch/alcohol to dry and turn BRIGHT WHITE.  Mark where this happens (it will feel warm) and measure from all sides and AVOID it when drilling!

Back