• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whats in this beer??

R

Rushman

I bought a 12 pack of assorted dark beers. there were a couple in there that tasted somewhat like Killians Red. One was named "Peidmont Porter" Does anyone have a guess at what to use to clone them? I am wondering if they have chocolate grain in them....if so I wonder about how much.

Thanks
Johnny

A quick search yields this recipe.  I have no idea how close or good this recipe is.  I see no mention of awards.

Fred

http://ericsbeerpage.com/Beer/Recipe/porter.html#pied
Piedmont Porter
Ingredients:

3 lb 2 row pale 100% malt exract syrup bulk and fresh
2 lb. dark condensed TN Maple syrup, really dark!
1 lb 120L Crystal malt crushed
1/4 80L crystal malt crushed
0.75 lb chocolate 400L malt crushed
1/4 lb black roast barley
1/4 lb flaked barley
1/2 lb oatmeal
2 tsp Burton Salts
1/2 tsp salt
0.75 oz. Bullion for 60 minutes (pellet)
1.0 oz. Kent Goldings for 45 minutes-plug
1.0 oz. Fuggles or Willamette for 30 minutes-plugs
1.0 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker for 10 minutes-Plugs

Bring 1.5 gal brewing water to 155F and mash crushed grains for 1 hour at 150F, adding 2 tsps amylase enzyme for the latter 30 minutes. Sparge up to about 3 gallons with water 168F. Dissolve malt extract in the brew pot. Bring to a light rolling boil and add hops as follows:

Strain into 6 or 7gal carboy and QS to 5 gallons with cool or cold brewing water. Allow to cool to room temp before adding liquid ESB or London Special ( or both!) yeast. (65F) When the beer has almost completed fermentation, rack (aseptically) into a 2nd glass fermenter and allow to continue fermenting and settling before racking into a priming tank. This will take a little over a week. Prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar, 1 cup maple syrup or honey before bottling and carbonating. When carbonation is complete, store at cooler temps (40F) for about 1 month before serving. Enjoy! copyright 1997 Jane Pittman
Est OG: 1.059
Est %alcohol 5.9%
Rates:****

Back