• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kiln Black Malt?

brett

Brewer
Reaction score
Greetings!  I have a kit recipe that I am entering into Beersmith that calls for "Kiln Black Malt".  This stout recipe comes from Central Street Farmhouse of Bangor, Maine (a great shop!).  Has anyone noticed this grain in any of the Beersmith add-on grain packages?  I added a few of the larger ones without finding it and don't really want to add them all.  I see two potential ingredients via Google, one with an SRM of 500 the other 540, and no one shows a potential.  Does anyone have good figures so that I can add it to my ingredients myself?  Maybe there is a smarter way for me to handle this...  Thanks!  Brett

I am pretty sure it is also called Black Patent or just Black Malt. 

jomebrew said:
I am pretty sure it is also called Black Patent or just Black Malt.

+1

As far as potential goes...I'm sure black patent has some potential, but its not much.  further, no one uses enough of it to really matter (contribute significant maltose) anyway.  Its strong stuff for color and flavor mostly.

On the Malt analysis sheet for Briess Malts, they don't give an extract potential for any of the malts at 350 SRM and above.  I'm sure there is a tiny bit in there somewhere, but like tom_hampton says, the ammount used are so small as to be insignificant.

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_BrewTypicalAnalysis.pdf

Briess is the only malt I can get from my LHBS, so I've not looked at any other company's analysis sheets, but I'm sure that they are similar.

Thanks everyone.  I just wanted something to plug into BeerSmith Ingredients and you've given me what I need.  Cheers!

Back