• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Book Recipes different than BeerSmith

nhandberry

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to BeerSmith so please forgive my ignorance, I dug around the forums for a few minutes and didn't find anything so figured I'd post my question.  I added a recipe in BeerSmith 2 from Gordon Strong's Brewing Better Beer book.  After I entered the ingredients I get quite different results in regards to OG, IBU, and ABV.  I've double checked the ingredients added (made sure amts are correct, hops are correct changed actual AAU, leaf, and times in boil) so I'm guessing it's either an equipment profile or efficiency setting?  Only difference I see is this recipe called for beet sugar and so I just chose Table Sugar in BeerSmith.

For my equipment profile I copied the stainless steel keg profile and renamed it as Brew Magic 10 Gallon.  On this particular recipe the batch is for 6.5 gallons so I changed the Batch Size to 6.5 gal, set the type to All Grain, set Boil Time to 90 minutes, and left Tot Efficiency at the default 72.00%. 

Attachments

• BrewMagic10Gallon.bsmx
    1.4 KB · Views: 191
  • OldDraftDodgerEnglishBarleyWine.bsmx
    28 KB · Views: 179
  • TripwireBelgianTripel.bsmx
    22.7 KB · Views: 189
Yes, it is almost certainly an equipment profile issue.  Can you post your equipment profile, and the recipe?  Also include the OG, IBU, ABV values for both.

The system losses in the profile can have a big impact on these parameters. 

Also, be sure what Gordon Strong's batch size definition is.  For beer smith batch size is the amount of wort that ends up in the fermenter.  Some recipes define batch size as bottling volume.  Others define it as post-boil (cooled) volume.  Generally theres about a 1/2 gallon difference between each step.

Thanks, Tom.  I only have BeerSmith on my home laptop so I'll post the info you requested (probably Thursday as I'm busy tonight).  I found Pat's Post (http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,5140.0.html) on AG equipment profiles which was very helpful for defining all the inputs you mentioned.  I'm going to start capturing all the stats I need with each of my next brews.

I've attached  the equipment profile and two recipes in the original post.  One didn't have an IBU measurement in the book (the tripel).  All of the measurements from the recipe (OG, IBU, ABV) are in the notes of the recipe.

Back