• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where to get inexpensive LME?

gwapogorilla

Master Brewer
Reaction score
I've been combing the net for inexpensive LME, so far the best I can do is Midwest Brewing. They sell a case of six-6 lb. jugs for $80 plus $20 shipping...but I can enter a coupon code for $5 off, bringing the total to $95..or $2.64 a lb.
Anyone see better deals out there? I'm just getting started, and the wife is already starting to tally up my totals. So, I'm trying to get some bang for my buck.

Thanks,
Mark

That is pretty good for a price. Briess is %80 fermentables too, so not too bad and it's probably fresh. I would check the local homebrew shop and maybe avoid shipping. Look for bulk buys in your area perhaps with a local homebrew club or even piggyback an order with a local brewery.

Wholesale for group buys for Briess is about $15/gallon.
http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/downloads/Champlain%202013%20Price%20Sheets%20-%20Updated%2012-31-12.pdf

so about half as much. You live in the states?

Go all grain.  Can't get cheaper than that!  Yes, there is an initial equipment investment, but brewing beers that are $0.35 per bottle and can rival the $2 craft brews in your area is well worth it!

+1 to Beer_Tigger - Just went AG recently and saving over $3/Lb on my fermentables ain't too shabby - pays for the investment in equipment pretty quickly if you brew enough...

A 5 gallon jug is a bit much, it would go bad before I had it all used up.
The local brew supply shop only sells in 3.3 lb tins...about $11 each. I'm near Dubuque Iowa...so not much around here.
I will eventually end up going all grain..after a year or two. But til then, I'll keep searching for the best buy.

Morebeer LME is $2.60 a pound and ships for free with a $59 order.  It's available in pound increments.  It will take about 10 days to get your free shipping, but that is the only down side I have seen.

Both MainStreet Brewing and BrewBrothers have good prices on LME, coming in at $2 or less per lb.  You will have to check on shipping to your location.

Just went all grain my self and already have two nice batches at almost 50% the cost of the extract method. It's fun. I enjoyed building the Mash Tun (just modified designs i found on the internet) Plus is you can get your grains locally saves you a tun on S&H

I want to get a few batches under my belt before I go all grain. The closest brew supply shop has growlers for $68. After doing a little more reading, I've found the LME will keep for quite a while if it is kept in a cool dark area. So, I think I'll go with the growler...then after it's gone I will consider all grain.

Back