• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting gravity with DME

ImperialStout

Brewer
Reaction score
Just learned SG and OG can be increased by adding DME. Anyone know about how much DME to add per gravity point? Are we talking spoonfuls or cupfuls of DME for a 5 gal batch?

Trial and error works, just thought someone already knows.

The answer depends on your volume. In order to understand how to do this you need to understand how total points works. To calculate total points in wort: 1000*(gravity - 1)*volume.  Basically, just keep everything on the right side of the decimal point * volume.  Also, for hot wort, you need to correct for temperature (3-4%).  This gives you a number that represents the total amount of sugar in the wort.

So, what you do is calculate the desired total sugar using your recipe data, then calculate your actual sugar. SubtrCt your actual from desired. That tells you how many points you need to add. Dme adds 46 points per pound.

For example:

Target preboil sg: 1.052
Target volume:  7.5 gallons
Target points: 52 * 7.5 =390 pts

Actual sg: 1.049
Actual volume: 7.6 gallons
Actual points: 372 pts

Needed pts: 390-372 = 18 pts
Needed dme: 18/46 =6.2 ounces

We brew AG because we like understanding the process. Thanks Tom, it makes sense. Also, BS has a simple tool to use as well. Can't remember where it is, possibly tools/calculators...

Thanks. Will save the post and do the math if (when) I need to adjust the gravity. Brew Smith is still the best brewing software but could be tweaked. Rev 3 coming out anytime soon?

I posted this same question on two other beer web sites. Several people replied 1 pound of DME will raise the gravity by 9 points in a 5 gal batch.

After thinking about this more carefully, I am thinking 9 points is a good number.

If 46 were correct wouldn't that mean a gravity of 1.092 could be achieved with only two pounds of DME in a 5 gal batch.

If 9 is correct, that would mean it would take 10 pounds of DME to get a gravity reading of 1.090.

I am thinking 9 is a good number. Any thoughts?

Please see Tom's example above.
In this case;
92 (points wanted) * 5 (gallons) = 460 (total points needed)
460 (total points needed) / 46 (points in 1# DME) = 10# DME

I don't do much extract brewing but I think it's just a misunderstanding of the equation.

1# DME in 1 gal of water = 46 points (1.046)
1# DME in 5 gal of water =  9.2 points (1.0092)

Back