• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can only adjust hops by 1 oz

ImperialStout

Brewer
Reaction score
Can only adjust hops by 1 oz. 2 oz is too bitter, 1 oz is not bitter enough. Switched to another 14% AA hop. The bitterness came down a little but not enough to bring the bitterness into the style range.

Double click on the hop (in your design window) and you should be able to make it any amount you want - like .25 or .50 -
If you are talking about the "increase amount" button - then you can change that in your options tab. (looks like a gear shaped icon) under "units"

Thanks, if only it was that easy. Actually that was the way I adjusted ingredients until I discovered the up / down arrows.

The up / down arrows change nothing until they have been hit 5 times, then the hop amount jumps 1 oz. Double clicking on ingredients brings up the hop use box where quantity and other stuff can be changed. Changing quantity to 1.5 oz seems to work but when the menu closes the quantity in the recipe is either 1 or 2 oz.

Think the program may need to be reloaded. If I do that will all the recipe data be lost?

If yes, how to save recipes so they can be recovered? Put them all in Cloud? 

Before you uninstall and reinstall...

On the "units" setting page, what is the "precision" for your hops units?  What you are describing would exactly describe a situation where the precision is set to "0".  It should be "2" for most people.  BS2 will round to the number of decimal places in the precision field.  If your increment were set to 0.25 then the hop would be incremented by 0.25 each time, but the displayed value would be rounded (up or down accordingly).  Once the increment crossed the 0.5 threshold it would be rounded up to the next display value.

Eg.

add 1.0 oz of hops
increment button, internal value changes to 1.25, but displayed value is rounded to 1.0
increment button, internal value changes to 1.50, but displayed value is rounded to 2.0
increment button, internal value changes to 1.75, but displayed value is rounded to 2.0
increment button, internal value changes to 2.00, but displayed value is rounded to 2.0
increment button, internal value changes to 2.25, but displayed value is rounded to 2.0
increment button, internal value changes to 2.50, but displayed value is rounded to 3.0

Note how many clicks it takes to go from 2.0 to 3.0 displayed ounces.

Thanks, that's exactly what the problem was as 88Q said but I didn't understand. Didn't realize the precision meant how many places past the decimal point do you want to see. I thought 1 meant to increment by 1 oz etc so picked 0 to get the finest increment possible. Setting it to 2 gives 1/4 oz increments. Thanks.

Back