• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Suggestions, IPA Orange

Dhostetter

Apprentice
Reaction score
I’m in the process of making my first AG 5 gal batch. It’s a Citra IPA that I wanted to have a little of an orange flavor. I added 5oz of Sweet Orange peel to the last 5 minutes of the boil.
Yesterday I racked the batch (after 8 days) to my 5 gal carboy and decided to have a little sip to see where the flavor profile as at and didn’t taste any orange. The color is good, a nice orange tint.
I will be dry hopping the batch over the next two week and was thinking about adding some more orange peel but wasn’t sure if it would help.
I was hoping not to use extracts to keep the brew as AG as possible. 
Any suggestions on how to adding some orange flavor to the brew at this point?

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_20130114_164024.jpg
    IMG_20130114_164024.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 493
Just don't throw it into the fermenter ...... I did that once and had an awful layer of mold form.
Maybe try a lot of orange zest thrown into some boiling water (or wort) for about a minute - cool down - and pitch a few days before packaging.

Sounds like a great brew tho, love that citra. And mixed with simcoe it is a real winner!

You could try steeping the orange peel with ground coriander (I use coriander for that orangey flavor).  Add the tea to the fermenter.  Though I never tried this, it looks good on paper.

When  adding stuff like this to secondary I like to let it sit in some vodka for a few minutes and then put it into the secondary and make sure the dump the vodka it was soaking in as well (it will have some of the flavor in it and wont really increase your gravity that much and you wont taste it at all). 

Back