• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Racked Early - Problem?

Dhostetter

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and started my first AG batch. After about 10 days the fermentation slowed down considerably (watching gas release) so I decided to rack the beer to the second carboy. I've read that you really don't want the wort to sit in the primary for more than 7 days as it could start to get some off flavors. Grassy and such.
So i thought I was good to go with racking it. After racking the fermentation seemed to pick up. Bubble releases every few seconds and I started to build up more turb in the second carboy.
After a little more research I should have taken several gravity readings to determine if fermentation had truly stop/slowed before racking.
Now my issue is back to having the wort sit in the second carboy with the turb as I dry hop over the next two weeks. Longer than 7 days.
My question is should I rack it again or just let it go in the second carboy?
All in all, a lesson learned. Check gravity to determine if fermentation has stopped.

Let it ride.  It would seem that in reracking the beer you oxygenated it a bit and gave your yeast a second shot, there is nothing wrong with that.  There is also nothing wrong with sitting on your own yeast cake.  You can leave it in there for a couple of weeks without hurting it at all.  I was once committed to racking to secondary after 1 week but in recent times have shifted to leaving it in primary forever.  I leave some sitting in the primary for 3 weeks or more.  It won't hurt the beer.

Thanks for your comments. I've read several people leave it in the primary. i just don't want to screw up my first AG batch.

Long answer:
You've probably noticed that a brew starts out dark and clear, lightens up in a milky way when there's a bunch of yeast in suspension, then darkens back up when the yeast settles.
As a general rule, once the yeast has dropped out, the primary fermentation is over and it's ready to rack.  For most ales that's a week to ten days, though I've seen it in as little as four. For lagers it can be twice that or more.

Whether or not racking is necessary is a different question.

Short answer:
Your beer is fine.

First of all your right, you don't want to screw up your first AG and flush your confidence down the toilet. But there will be plenty of mistakes where you will have just as much fun fixing what ever you THINK might of gone wrong.
So, I too use to rack to secondary when I first started. No longer my fellow brewer! Notice no deference. Ok..on big double IPA with alot of hops will. Save yourself the extra work and opportunity for infection.

Leave it be.....unless you want to experiment.

I'm letting ride. Tomorrow I start dry hopping and looking forward to it.
The waiting is painful.  :)

I have gone 21 days quite a few times with no ill effect.

Generally speaking, skipping the secondary isn't a big deal if you plan to bottle/keg in under a month and have no plans to dry hop.

If you're going to dry hop, racking is not a bad idea.

After rereading the thread I see your question was if you should rack a second time. No need.

In the future if you plan to dry hop or let the brew sit for more than a month, racking into a secondary is a good idea. Otherwise it is not necessary.

The waiting is painful.  :)

You're not brewing enough! It's easier to wait with a homebrew in hand!

Back