• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

carboy

Another? How many have you broke? Hope it was empty.

I've lost several glass carbs over the years. Man do they make a mess when they break.  Glass goes everywhere! Even so, glass is all I use these days.  I had bad luck with a string of infections using plastic fermenting vessels. Glass doesn't scratch or take on odors. And it lasts forever (or until it falls off the table).

I haven't lost one since I started keeping the cardboard box that it comes in, and using it for storage when not in use. Also, I store them on the floor. All of mine broke when they fell off of something elevated like a table and were not in the box.

Don't give up on glass.  Just be more mindful.

I have broken 3 all in the tub while i am cleaning them. I have a better bottle and have had good luck with it, for about a year. My main vessel is a sanke keg,I use the 5 gal. carboys only if I secondary.

How are you cleaning it?  I put some Oxyclean along with hot water in, let it soak for 24 hours and empty/rinse.  Better bottles aren't bad but they do have a shelf life and degrade over time.  Plus, harder to clean because there's a heat limit.  Glass is all I'll ever use.

Mark

Check the first post in this thread by Tom Hampton: http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,7800.msg31332.html#msg31332

Back