• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

hoegaarden color

K

krugvoll

Hello again, I am going to try to make a knock off of hoegaarden. But the thing I am after is trying to get the COLOR right. I am gonna try to do a somewhat strange thing and make a red white and ble set of brews for mu nephews homecoming fro Iraq. I have the red (nice Irish red, almost ruby) and blue (a blueberry lager, not quite blue enough, but you can tell its supposed to be blue). Now I need the white. I love hoegaarden's wit ale and have looked at different clone recipes and the color is never as pale as what you get with the commercial version. Is this even possible for the homebrewer or should I try to do something else. If I should try something else, what suggestions can you all give?

Sure you can make a Wit at home.  

Use the lightest color malt you can get.  US 2 row is about a 2SRM and wheat is also.  It will not be white but very very pale.

Don

Back