• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ingredients

Rjezowski75

Brewer
Reaction score
Is there a way within the Beer Smith program to add my own ingredients?

You can click the ingredients tab at the top, then click the type of ingredient you want to add (grain, hops, misc etc.)...  There will be a button in the heading for adding the ingredient you chose once the list appears..  You will need to fill in the name and all the particulars for that ingredient as best you can.

texasdan said:
You can click the ingredients tab at the top, then click the type of ingredient you want to add (grain, hops, misc etc.)...  There will be a button in the heading for adding the ingredient you chose once the list appears..  You will need to fill in the name and all the particulars for that ingredient as best you can.
For me this provides an embedded list of items with no option to add a new one. No button appears. As a Canadian a lot of ingredients that make their way states side are rare here but a lot of Canadian stuff is, and is not in the embedded listed content. Canadian (2) row etc. I am using the trial version and this makes me hesitate as to the usefulness to me of this program. Is there any other way of adding items to the embedded ingredients ? I would like to go ingredients, Grain and see a listing for Canadian (2) row that I have added as well as all the others.

In the left panel of BeerSmith:

1. Click on the "Ingredients" button.

2. Click on the "Grain" button.

In the top panel:

3. Click on "Add Grain"

In the new window that pops up, enter the information for the new grain - available from the seller, producer, or other Internet source.

The attached Word doc illustrates what you'll see in the Windows version. The Linux version shows the ingredients in a pop-up instead of a drop-down.

Attachments

• Add_Grain.doc
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 4
Thanks, don't know how it did not work the first time but since I have added several Canadian grains.

What Linux distro are you running. I am a Centos fan. Redhat makes great server OS.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 most of the time, dual-booted with Win 8. May I strongly recommend you up your Prozac/Zoloft/Cymbalta dosage if you want to dual-boot anything with Win 8.

I don,t dual boot as I have an over abundance of machines. I do use a Win 7 machine,s virtual mode to run XP as our accounting program only runs on XP.
I have a spare Scientific Linux machine that I will try running Beer Smith on and see how it goes with Red Hat type distros.

Back