• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fermentation time for barley wine

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing a barley wine. Two questions are are how long a fermentation time required and is a pound of corn sugar a common ingredient? Most recipes figure on a 2 to 4 month fermentation schedule and a pound of corn sugar. Would be interested in the barley wine recipe you use.

I don't think corn sugar is a requirement.  I've seen brown sugar a lot tho.  But I don't think any amount of sugar is a given.  There needs to be a reason why you're adding it that complements the other ingredients.

The sugar would thin out the beer a little letting some of the subtle flavors through.

I haven't made one yet. Gonna try to clone Old Foghorn this year. It doens't attenuate so much so I plan on high mash temp (155) and a yeast with low attenuation. I'll probably include some malt extract in the recipe and also use first runnings only (use the rest for a 2nd beer).

I'd avoid the corn sugar...my preference.  Here's an  English BW that I recently did.  It was in primary for about 2 weeks and transferred to secondary along with fresh dry yeast about a week ago.  OG was 1.120 and it's currently sitting at 1.040 or so.

Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
18 lbs                Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)  Grain        2        81.8 %       
2 lbs                Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60. Grain        3        9.1 %       
1 lbs                Oats, Flaked (Briess) (1.4 SRM)          Grain        4        4.5 %       
1 lbs                Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)        Dry Extract  5        4.5 %       
2.00 oz              Northdown [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min      Hop          6        45.9 IBUs   
1.00 oz              Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 Hop          8        6.7 IBUs     
0.50 oz              Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0  Hop          9        1.3 IBUs     
1.0 pkg              Upstream House Yeast (Upstream #N/A) [35 Yeast        10      -     

Thanks for the recipe. The numbers don't look right. Have two barleywine recipes I am considering, one with 25 pounds grain, an OG of 1.123 and ABV of 11. The other has  23 pounds of grain, an OG of 1.113 and an ABV of 13. Most of the recipes I have looked at are similar in terms of 20 plus pounds of grain and ABV  of 10 plus.

My question about the long fermentation time (2 to 4 months) in some recipes may be because some authors include aging and/or bottle conditioning in fermentation time. I can't imaging having a beer fermenting in a bucket for 4 months, bottle it and then age it. I typically make big beers, primary for 14 days, secondary for 7 days and dry hop if needed, bottle and condition for 28 days then age for at least 28 days. Big beers do get better the longer they age though. Just wondering if anyone really FERMENTS barleywines for 2 to 4 months and then bottle or keg it.

My friends that do great Old Ales and B/Ws usually do primary for 4-6 weeks, secondary a LONG time in glass, then keg when ready.  "Long time" can be anywhere from 3 to 12 months.  Most often it's a winter/spring brew to be drunk the next winter. 

Back