• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Looking for a good AG recipe book

Reaction score
Looking for a good AG recipe book. Have "How To Brew" and "Designing Great Beers", consider them "Go To" books to learn about brewing beers. Read "Joy Of Brewing" and "Brewing Classic Styles" and was not impressed. Now looking for a good book on AG brewing recipes. Considering "Best Of Brew Your Own 250 Classic Clone Recipes" and "Clone Beers". There is another series of "Classic Brews", each volume dedicated to one style. Any thoughts?

I've brewed a couple from Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer. Easy to follow recipes.  Plan on brewing the AG clone of Pliney next month and there are several more I'd like to tackle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0937381926

I would just sign up for a BJCP study exam if they offer one in your area.

http://www.bjcp.org/study.php

What makes a recipe book good or bad in your opinion? I have only brewed maybe 20 batches, but my main recipe sources have been and will continue to be for this year:

-Brewing Classic styles book- I've only tried one recipe so far. I'd like to give it a fair shake before dismissing it
-BYO clone recipes edition - I seem to learn most from trying to emulate the beers I love most.
-HBT forum member recipes. There are some really experienced brewers there and they love giving feedback on recipe questions
-Northern Brewer recipe kits - Love that they have ratings system. They all seem to be winners
actually I have a browser bookmark folder full of recipes I want to try that I come across over the past few years. I know I will never get to all of them, but usually they employ some unique technique I wanna try or some interesting ingredients.

Not really recipe books, but they do contain a few. But they mostly contain good info on AG.
Noonan - Brewing Lager Beer
Strong - Brewing Better Beer.

I borrowed 80 Classic Brews and discovered most, if not all recipes are written for extract. Some negative reviews said the same things, the AG conversion recipe was not accurate and neither were the hops and yeast selection for the style. I don't know. It makes me wonder if several people say the same thing. On the other hand the overall rating is positive and two guys from a brew club I just joined  recommended it so bought it. Also bought the Scotch Ale, Barley Wine and IPA books from the Classic Beer Style series. I have read How To Brew by Palmer and Designing Great Beers by Daniels so figure with all these resources, and this web site, a bad beer can be attributed to operator error.

Continental Pilsener by David Miller of the Classic Beer Style Series really got me going on lagers. Has great recipe outlines that are easy to tweak to your own taste.

Maine Homebrewer said:
Continental Pilsener by David Miller of the Classic Beer Style Series really got me going on lagers. Has great recipe outlines that are easy to tweak to your own taste.

Thanks Maine Homebrewer!
R,
Slurk

Back