• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flaked Barley

R

Rushman

My Recp. calls for Roasted Barley but I could only get Flaked. Would that matter much. Also, should it be added like the hops method on included in the steep with the grain?

Thanks

The two grains are not even remotely close to one another.

Flaked barley is unmalted barley that has been pressed and rolled under heat to gelatinize the starches. It's used, most commonly, in stouts for body and head retention. It really should be mashed with a base malt to truly utilize it, as steeping will only lend a pretty unappetizing floury taste and haze.

Roasted barley is unmalted barley as well, but as the name suggests, it is roasted in a manner similar to coffee beans. It's extremely dark (around 300L or even darker depending on the maltster and variety) and has a dry and sharp flavor--though I happen to like that flavor a lot. It also is a key component to stouts, but for a whole different reason than the flaked barley. Unlike flaked barley, roasted barley can be steeped to extract most of its goodness--RB has a pretty low impact on gravity, and is used more for flavor and color.

Whatever your recipe is, I can just about 100% guarantee you that you won't be happy with a substitution like you're suggesting. Perhaps post your recipe, and the board members can give you alternatives.

HTH...

I will, but the recp. is at home. It is suppost to be a Killians clone. Will post it tonight...Where can I buy the roasted online?  Thanks

I will, but the recp. is at home. It is suppost to be a Killians clone. Will post it tonight...Where can I buy the roasted online?  Thanks
Yeah, you definitely don't want flaked barley in that--I don't even need to see the recipe to know that.

You can get roasted barley at any online vendor or at any halfway decent brick-and-mortar homebrew supply store. Roasted barley is a pretty standard ingredient. For a Killian's color beer (unless you're planning on lagering, the closest you're going to get to Killian's is color, not flavor), you're only going to need about 2 ounces of roasted barley. Just Google for "homebrew supply" and you'll find dozens. It'll probably cost about $1.49/lb.

I found the RB at a local store. Here is the Recp. that was passed on to me. Do you know what I can change or add to to get close to Killians Red? I normally put in a bunch more grain.

3.3 Munton's EL
3.0 Munton's Light DME
.5  Breiss Crystal 40
.5 Carapils
2.0 oz Roasted Barley
.75 oz  Fuggle hops (60 min.)
1.0 oz Kent Golding hops  (15 min)
Wyeast 1084

OG  1.958   FG  1.015   ABV 5.69

Back