• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

WHY BREW A PORTER?

Detmurds

Brewer
Reaction score
If in need of a quick brew,..I find that Porters are about the quickest brews to make!  Don't get me wrong,..my favorite brew is probably an IPA,...but I have found a new love in a good Porter,....usually a Honey Porter,..that makes me smile much faster due to it's quickness in maturity!  Does anyone agree?

I feel this is difficult to answer. But I would like to share my enthusiasm for brewing a Porter.

- What do you mean with quick: the brewing process on brew-day itself or the whole process including maturing, or perhaps easiness?

My latest brew is a Porter. This was also the first time I brew one and I got some excellent answers/support from the BS-forum. My  brewing process was straight forward, I felt I was in control and the result for a first brew was (and still is) very good. I did not use that more or less time/effort than I was used to my other beers. I actually split up my batch in two this time. I made one batch of Porter straight and one batch I added some lactose.
I am very enthusiastic about brewing a Porter and based on the first results it opened for me definitely a new brewing area.

Good luck!
Slurk

What I mean is; fermentation, bottle conditioning has always been quicker with every porter I have made compared to the likes of a high powered IPA. 

I get a quick turnaround time with my session ales. I suppose I could turn one into a porter with some specialty grains.

I feel like it's important to brew more maltier beers as a home brewer because (to me) it's more difficult to brew something that has a malty depth to it.  HUGE hoppy beers are so easy to cover / hide mistakes with a beer.

Back