• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Imperial IPA

impy2

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed my first Imperial IPA today and wondering what the best temp to ferment was????

Everyone's specific fermenting temp will be different. I ferment in a temp controlled fermentation chamber (fridge with a temp regulator) at 68 F. Primary for 14 days, secondary and dry hop if needed for 7 days. I bottle and bottle condition in the same fridge at 68 for 28 days, then age for 28 days at room temp. A little more than what you asked for. Hope this helps.

Especially on bigger beers like that, I would start lower, maybe 64F for the first few days.  The center of the carboy will often be warmer than the outside edge of the carboy, and the first 4-5 days of the active ferm generate some heat.  After that surge 64 to 68F is usually great.

Big gravity beers need a very good pitch of yeast.  When starting cool, I like to start at 62F, I pitch a 2 liter starter at high krausen.  If I have it, I will top crop yeast from another beer too.  This is an excellent way to ensure the beer is fully fermented. 

I will let imperial or triple IPA rise up to 67F for a week then up to 70F-71F for a another week.  I have had them rise as high as 85 in that second week (by mistake) with no ill affect.  After two weeks, I will drop the temps down to 66F or so and dry hop in the fermenter in two or three stages a couple days apart.  I leave the dry hop in about 5 days before crashing, in the fermenter (hopefully remembering to remove the blow-off tube or suck in some starsan) and transfer to the keg at around 34F.

Same basic procedure for my imperial stout except for the dry hopping part.

/Joe

I have been fermenting with 1056 at 65 and just before I dry hop I bring it up to 68 and hold till its done.I have been getting really clear beers with great aroma .

I've been doing two batches at a time, regardless of style, in my freezer w/ controller at 64-66 on the strip type thermometer (matches my probe thermometer pretty close).  I think it's a good general ale temperature.  My results have been good at these temps.  However, at my last place the closet was a pretty steady 67-68, and I also had good results there too.  I wouldn't go above 70 in any case.  I'm talking ambient temperature of course.  Actual fermenter chamber will be higher during fermentation. 

I'd like to think my results are a bit better at the lower fermentation temperature.

Back