• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Tun Specific Heat Bug

dazed

Brewer
Reaction score
I noticed a bug while trying to get my Mash Tun Specific Heat number dialed in Profiles>Equipment.

I would Convert a recipe down in size (5g to 1g) pick my equipment, and convert. I would then open the recipe
and select the mash tab and change to my custom mash profile as set up in Profiles>Mash Profiles. 
I would see my strike temp, and then go back to my Mash Tun Specific Heat number and change it, but the
strike would remain the same. I even re-picked my mash profile (and others) again under the mash tab but the strike
temp would remain the same, even with the different Mash Tun Specific Heat number changed. The only way I could get
the Strike temp to change was to scale down the original recipe again after changing Mash Tun Specific Heat number.

The only way I could get it to act correctly was to re-pick my equipment off the design tab....I guess its calculated only after that selection.

right, You'd think the recipes would dynamically link to any equipment profile changes.

Try to remeber that almost everything in BS is a "local" copy.  When you add an ingredient to your reccipe, you get a "copy" stored into the recipe.  Therefore, if you change the values of the ingredient in the "Ingredients List" it will have NO impact on the recipe.  Same with equipment.  Think of it as a Snapshot in time.  At that moment when you create the recipe, this is how things were.

This is a good thing, actually.  You made an award-winning recipe 4 months ago.  Since then, you've tweeked your equipment by replacing your mash tun.  You've updated the equipment profile accordingly.  Would you really want the old winning recipe to be modified because of that?  No, it was made using the OLD equipment profile.  If you want to recreate it, you need to account for those differences.  If BS updated EVERYTHING that referenced that profile, all your historical info would be garbage.

So yes, you would heve to reselect an item if you changed it.

Sorry about the long winded answer...

I could create a new profile for the new equipment. The way it works now is just plain dumb.

Back