Author Topic: Yeast on the bottom  (Read 5177 times)

Offline ChrisCapePoint

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
Yeast on the bottom
« on: February 17, 2013, 07:27:29 PM »
Hey guys....New to this....Second brew....

I pitched yeast a little cool this evening (62 degrees) using Wyeast 3944 (belgian Wit) for an Alagash clone that I'm trying....I pitched at about 4:45 pm today, and already have trub in the bottom of the fermenter....The temp is coming up slowly, and wonder if I should give it a little stir when I get to 68 or so. If no action after 48 hours should I pitch again?

Thanks in advance guys!

Offline gwapogorilla

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: Yeast on the bottom
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 04:29:02 AM »
I just brewed my 1st batch of beer...ever. A Belgian Wit using the 3944, but I made a starter. In 12 hours I am seeing a lot of activity, and the area I am fermenting in is around 64*. I think your temp is fine. Maine brewing told me to wait also...it may take 24 hours before you see a single bubble.

Offline Curly55

• West Sound Brewers
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
According to wyeast web site the ideal temp range for 3944 is 62-75f and the trub is just cold break and hop gunk that settles out any way. As long you see some kind of activity buy 24-36 hours after pitching I would say sit back and have a homebrew, but seeing as how this is your first batch I think a micro brew is an acceptable substitute. Welcome to the addiction.
1 Timothy 5:23

Offline piper55

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • stonewoods brewery
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 02:27:03 PM »
Dont stir it dont open it dont peek, just have a beer and let it do its job. If you have no airlock action after 3 days it is usually a lid or airlock leak check that first. Dont risk contamination on unfermented wort, bottle bombs suck

Offline ChrisCapePoint

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:10:44 PM »
Thanks for all of the assistance guys....We're bubbling quite nicely now. When in doubt, sit back and have a beer I guess.

Offline Curly55

• West Sound Brewers
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:23:27 PM »
Yup... I think you might just have learned the biggest leason in home brewing, IMHO of course, step one is always have a homebrew. Enjoy
1 Timothy 5:23

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 04:20:08 PM »
When in doubt, sit back and have a beer I guess.

Ingredient #1 is patience.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson