• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bug Report: Issue When Changing Units

dymium

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Overview:
I'm getting into the habit of designing recipes in US units (I can better visualize the percentages that way), but brewing in the metric system for more precise measurements and control over my process.  Accordingly, I frequently change units based on where I'm at in my brew process (design and shopping are done in US, brewing and logging my process are in metric).

Bug:
When I change the program preferences from US to metric or metric to US units, recipe ingredients are scaled, but batch size is not.

Steps to reproduce error:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Start with a recipe in US units.

[*]
Tools->Options, then the Units section, then click the 'Set To Metric Units' button, then 'Ok'. 

[*]
If the recipe is open, the OG/IBU/Color ratios are still shown correctly, and recipe ingredients are in metric, but the batch size and batch units are still listed in gallons.

[*]
Close the current recipe, then re-open.  All ingredients are still metric, and batch units are listed as metric units (Liters in my case), but the batch size remains at the US unit number.

[*]
Closing and re-opening BeerSmith 2 does not change or fix the interpretation of the recipe values.  Briefly looking at the .bsxm file, it looks like the value is listed appropriately. 

[/list]

Version Information:
Beersmith Version 2.1.02
Windows 7 x64 SP1

Related Suggested Improvement for Future Version of BeerSmith:
It would be nice to change the units on a per-recipe basis instead of a program-wide setting.  BeerXML, if I read the spec correctly, stores all units in metric, so adding a flag to each recipe shouldn't be out of the question.

If there's any additional questions, clarifications, or any way that I can help out, please feel free to contact me via the forums.

Thanks!
Joe

Yes,
  I've seen this happen before and it is on my list to correct.  The work around is to make sure you close any open recipes before you change your units - this seems to correct the problem.

Brad

Back