• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Specific gravity of an ingredient

HerrUU

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

Would it be possible to add the specific gravity contribution of a single ingredient in the design screen? Right now, when I want to add the suger in the fermenter rather than during the boil, I have no idea what the specific gravity after the boil should be. If I would have the contribution in specific gravity of every ingredient separately, I could calculate this myself.

Thanks,

HerrUU

While on the design tab of your recipe if you can find the colum lableed %/IBU the. You have what your looking for. This colum tells you one of two things either the IBUs contributed by a particular hop addition or the % of the fermentables that are being contributed. Therefore all you have to do is multiply you OG by the % of the sugar you are adding and subtract this number from your given OG to figure out OG into the fermenter. Or any other variation on basic math to get the numbers your looking for. Cheers

That's not accurate. The % given is the % of the weight of the ingredient, not the % it contributes to the gravity of the wort. For instance, if you would make a recipe with 70% pilsner and 30% sugar in weight, the contribution of the sugar to the specific gravity would be +/- 35% due to the fact that the extraction efficiency of sugar is different to that of pilsner malt.

So your formula does not give me the information I need.

Sorry about that. You are correct my response is incorrect. A work around would be to simply delete the sugar form the recipe and take note of the sg with out the sugar. Then go back and add the sugar to the recipe for the after sugar addition sg. sorry about the poor response the first time.

One pound of sugar will create 1 gallon at 1.046.

So, the gravity point formula you're looking for is: Lbs x 46 / volume

In 5 gallons, 1 lb of sugar should raise gravity 1.009

Curly55 said:
A work around would be to simply delete the sugar form the recipe and take note of the sg with out the sugar.

Perhaps this could be useful but you would always have to delete the sugar. It seems to me that the purpose of a brewing software is that it does these calculations for you.

brewfun said:

Thanks, but I work with the metric system  ;) Moreover, this is correct for table sugar (100% sucrose) but will be inaccurate for candy sugar (liquid) or malt extracts. And again, If I have to calculate everything by hand, I might as well make a xls sheet instead of using Beersmith.  :)
For the moment I use a xls to calculate the °P and GP of the ingredient but this is cumbersome.

HerrUU said:
It seems to me that the purpose of a brewing software is that it does these calculations for you.

brewfun said:

Thanks, but I work with the metric system  ;) Moreover, this is correct for table sugar (100% sucrose) but will be inaccurate for candy sugar (liquid) or malt extracts. And again, If I have to calculate everything by hand, I might as well make a xls sheet instead of using Beersmith.  :)
For the moment I use a xls to calculate the °P and GP of the ingredient but this is cumbersome.

Wow, dude. Just wow. Ask for help, then swat it away. Your original post said nothing about measurements or sugar types. In fact, you said if the info was on the recipe, you could do the calculation yourself.

Well then, to give you an accurate answer to your original question: NO  ::)

So, what are we talking about, here? The program, or real math problems? Conversions to metric?

If you just change the sugar weight to "0" then you get your post boil gravity. Add it back... *boom!* back to full counts. ...Aaaaand the program did it for you.

Want math, instead? Bottom line is 1 kg of sucrose will add 4.8P to 20 Liters. Candi sugar adds 3.8P. That's just a half percent abv. Not enough to brag about or worry, unless you are paying taxes on it. You're in a 10 based system, you can handle it from here.

PS: It's never a bad thing to do calculations in your head or on paper.  You should always be 2% smarter than the tool you're using.

brewfun said:
Wow, dude. Just wow. Ask for help, then swat it away. Your original post said nothing about measurements or sugar types. In fact, you said if the info was on the recipe, you could do the calculation yourself.

I'm not "swatting" anything away. In the topic suggestions, I made a suggestion to add a field. The fact that this can be calculated by hand or on a piece of paper is interesting but not relevant to my question/proposal.  ;)

To go further into detail of my suggestion, one should also be able to see contributions to the specific gravity of all ingredients. This could easily be done by adding a (existing) field to the recipe : the gravity points of a specific fermentable.

Back