• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

clarify pale ale

brewnut

Brewer
Reaction score
I brewed a very pale ale using only 2 row, no other grains. It tastes great, but I was out of irish moss, and it's pretty cloudy. What is the best way to clarify my beer post fermentation? I generally don't brew beers this pale, so it's never been a problem before. It's a 5 gallon batch. Thanks.

Lower the temp of the beer

Letting it age in the fermentor longer

Add gelatin to the beer

(I would explain in more detail but wife ready to go to breakfast)

Cold crash it. Chill it way down for a day or two...if you have the temps to do it.

Do you perform an iodine starch test? An incomplete conversion can result in a cloudy beer. If the cloudiness is a starch haze there really isn't much you can do to clear it.  Got any opaque mugs?

I'm not sure if there are any good "fixes" for starch haze other than lots of time (who wants to wait THAT long...?!) or running it through a plate or cartridge filter. It's always a good idea to confirm your mash has fully converted the starches - that's one haze problem you can fix fairly easily.

If by "post fermentation" you mean you haven't packaged it yet (not bottled or carbonated), one way would be to crash to about 32 F or so for a couple of days and then rack to a secondary with a fining such as Biofine or gelatin, and let it sit another couple of days at around 32 F. Then it's off to the keg or bottles - this should provide at least some relief from the haze.

Otherwise; time is your best fix.

Thanks guys. The beer is still fermenting. When I transferred it into the secondary, it kicked up again, so I haven't really done anything else with it just yet. It fermented out from 1.070 to 1.010 so far. It's going to be a very strong one, I don't think I'll keg it. I am going to wait for another week or two, then try cold crashing. I live in the northeast, so I'm sure to get a few cold nights even in March.
It does taste great though. The light malt charachter really let the yeast shine through, even though I used us-05, which usually has a very clean profile. It has a very fruity aroma and flavor, like apricots. If it stays a little cloudy, I don't think anyone will complain.

I have the same problem but the beer is bottle conditioning in a fermentation chamber set at 68 F. I think not but will cold crashing the beer now say at 35 F do anything to clarify it?

Back