• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast

Rjezowski75

Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all. I am very new to brewing and am going to try out an all grain pale ale. What would be a great yeast to use that is easy to deal with as well as provides a very clean finish?

I'd use Fermentis Safale US-05. It's inexpensive, reliable and easy to find. Just sprinkle onto the wort and you're good to go.  I wouldn't spend extra money on a liquid culture unless you were doing something like a Belgian or a Hefe where you want the yeast to contributes to the taste.

Maine Homebrewer said:
I'd use Fermentis Safale US-05. It's inexpensive, reliable farmhouse  to find. Just sprinkle onto the wort and you're good to go.  I wouldn't spend extra money on a liquid culture unless you were doing something like a Belgian or a Hefe where you want the yeast to contributes to the taste.

Come on now... At least tell him to rehydrate in sterile water or goferm.  Why kill half the yeast before they even wake up?

There are many other beer styles that are yeast driven besides belgian and hefe.  Irish, English, German ales, saison, bier del guard, farmhouse ales,  etc . More styles are yeast driven than not. Really just American ales push the yeast to the background. 

Curly55 said:
I personally default to wyeast 1056 or pacman. Never had an issue with either.

S-05 is the dry version of that yeast.  So save money, use the dry.

Safale US-05 if you are using dry yeast, if you really want to use liquid yeast (for which I recommend using a starter) try WLP-001 Calafornia Ale.  But really, just use the dry and rehydrate it.  It's much easier.

At least tell him to rehydrate in sterile water or goferm.

Honestly, I don't bother. Then again I only use the package for one, then I re-pitch back to back another four or five times. First batch takes a while to start, while subsequent batches hit the ground running.

On yeast character in the brew, dude is new. Go easy on him.  Don't want to over complicate things. Yet.  ;)

tom_hampton said:
Maine Homebrewer said:
I'd use Fermentis Safale US-05. It's inexpensive, reliable farmhouse  to find. Just sprinkle onto the wort and you're good to go.  I wouldn't spend extra money on a liquid culture unless you were doing something like a Belgian or a Hefe where you want the yeast to contributes to the taste.

Come on now... At least tell him to rehydrate in sterile water or goferm.  Why kill half the yeast before they even wake up?

There are many other beer styles that are yeast driven besides belgian and hefe.  Irish, English, German ales, saison, bier del guard, farmhouse ales,  etc . More styles are yeast driven than not. Really just American ales push the yeast to the background.

+1

From the Book Yeast The practical guide to beer fermentation they stated that not re hydrating yeast kills 50% of the cells.
Without making a yeast starter, depending on your batch size. would leave your pitching rate quite low

Back