• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment Profile - water loss during boiling

applecrew135

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm returning to brewing after a long (14 year) hiatus and will be brewing a dunkelweizen as my first batch this weekend. I'm using DME and specialty grains and spent some time this evening experimenting to find out what my water losses will be during a 1 hour boil. I really wanted to try a full-volume boil to hit a 2.5 gallon fermenter volume, but after I finished my little experiment, it looks like a full-volume boil will be a no-go for me until I get a larger pot.

Equipment: 20 qt stainless steel pot, electric ceramic-top range

I filled my pot w/ three gallons of water and turned the burner to it's highest setting. I was able to achieve a steady rolling boil in about 25 minutes. Once the boil started, I set the timer for an hour and let the boil run uncovered.

After the hour, I removed the pot from the stove and covered it, trying to simulate my cooling. Once cool, I measured the remaining amount and discovered I had lost almost exactly a gallon.

So, for me the moral of the story is that I would have to boil 3.5 gallons in a 4 gallon pot... and I don't think that is a great idea. With about an inch from the top of the pot I think the potential for a bad boil-over is too great so I will use a boil volume of three gallons and top off my fermenter to make up the difference.

Oh well, at least I know. Sort of a neat thing to do to get to know your equipment better without wasting any beer. I also know that I will not be able to generate a really solid rolling boil on my stove, but it should be good enough. I'm sure that if I used my propane burner I could boil harder and quicker, but that's not going to happen until I'm ready to go bigger and gp all-grain.

It's a learning process.

Cheers!

I just did my first batch...a full volume boil. While I do have a large 44 qt. pot, the beersmith program was off as far as volumes go. It won't/didn't figure in trub loss. For example...it told me to go with 5.7 gallons of water, and I also used a yeast starter adding another 32 oz(.25 gal).  While it appears I had the same evaporation you did(1 gal), I measured 10 cups(.625 gal) of trub after I racked to my secondary. And in my secondary, I already have a solid 1" of trub on the bottom of it....I am guessing 5 cups(.312 gal). So, I am looking at a bottling volume of around 4 gallons. :-\
My next batch, I plan on going with a boiling volume of 5.8 gallons. It may not be perfect...but will be pretty darn close! ;)

That's interesting! Some of the calculators I've seen suggest a loss of up to 6 qts in a one-hour boil. It's also interesting that our loss rates are very similar - our boilers, although not the same size, must have similar ratios in terms of dimensions.

I do not know what other losses I may incur... we'll find out soon. I'm brewing my first batch this weekend!

I asked the owner of the local home brew shop about evap...he suggested 1 gallon as typical. What I didn't know was the amount of trub to expect. and to be honest...I kinda didn't think of it.

Back