• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dunkelweizen yeast

applecrew135

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'd like to get some feedback / comparison bewteen the following two yeast strains, if anyone would care to comment, that would be terriffic!

Wyeast Weihenstephan
WLP300

My fermentation temp is going to be 68 degrees plus or minus a couple of degrees.

Thanks!

Wyeast 3068 hands down.  It's the only yeast i use for my hefe's, dunkelweizens our hefe-bocks.

You didn't list but I recently used Safbrew WB-06 with excellent results.  I fermented at a little lower and got great clove flavor with a slight bubblegum.  If you ferment higher, you'll get more banana flavor.

shawnk said:
You didn't list but I recently used Safbrew WB-06 with excellent results.  I fermented at a little lower and got great clove flavor with a slight bubblegum.  If you ferment higher, you'll get more banana flavor.

I con core that is my yeast of choice for all my Weizens

Matt

I've had great luck with Wye 3056 fermented between 62 and 64F. 

I could not source the Wyeast 3056 anywhere I consider a reasonable distance from home, so I went with the WLP300. We'll see how it turns out. The batch went into the fermenter last night around 9:30, and at 1:30 this afternoon I am beginning to see some activity. I've got about a half-inch of krausen building up in the last 4 hours, so things are looking up. When I pitched the yeast, it had a very nice aroma that I think I will be happy with.

Back