• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flabbergasted by fanciful flocculation

Piston Broke

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi
I wonder if anyone could explain the following

I'm increasingly becoming a huge fan of Safale 04 and 05, so I thought I do a split ferment comparing it with a Nottingham. ( again dried)
I normally brew 25 litres and now only use one sachet ( yes I do use liquid yeast, but not all the time, due to time constraints ). This always produces good results. I leave in primary for 2- 3 weeks (can't see the point of racking to secondary)

On this "split fermentation" experiment I came to bottle last night and was amazed at the clarity of beer being siphoned into my bottling bucket, it was as clear as my brews normally are after a month!

This  clarity applied to both brews with the safale and the Nottingham.

I have in the past used 2 packets of yeast per 25 litre and have also tried a split brew before ( using one sachet per 12.5 litres) and have never had the clarity that I've just got with this last brew.

My question is why this split brew decided to flocculate like crazy?

I haven't done anything different in my process, 90 min mash, batch sparge, 90 min boil ( I'm from England! ) immersion chiller down to 25c, rest for 30mins then transfer to fermentation bucket, aerate with paddle attached to cordless drill, fermented at 18c room temp.
Aerate again in the morning. primary 2-3 weeks, job done
Og 1052 FG 1010.

thanks for your time

I see the same think occasionally but with different yeast.  Don't know why but I try to brew quickly again and repitch those babies.

Back