• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

difference between maris otter and american 2 row

brewnut

Brewer
Reaction score
I've never brewed with maris otter. I know it's used for english ales, but what is the major flavor profile difference between maris and american two row?

I like Maris Otter, I think it has much more character than a standard American 2 row.  It can impart a very slight nutty, biscuit flavor.

Bready/Biscuity - adds nice complexity when used with US 2-row in an APA or IPA. US 2-row by itself is fairly light, neutral. Both are great base grains. Try a SMaSH with Maris Otter and your favorite hops - good way to explore a grain or hops.

I made a maris otter/willamette smash.  The maris otter completely overwhelmed the willamette.  It was quite tasty, buiscuit-y, bready, pretty good bodied considering it was just base malt.  Willamette is a low AA hop, I guess I should have used more of it. 

the beer was tasty and showcased maris otter well.  I'd recommend trying it, but if you do, use a punchier hop.  If I were to brew it again, I'd use cascade and bump up the IBUs a little, and add more late hops (perhaps even hop-burst it). 

I find that it grinds differently.  I get more dough balls and occassionally a stuck mash with it.  Otherwise I love it for English beers.

Beer_Tigger said:
I find that it grinds differently.  I get more dough balls and occassionally a stuck mash with it.  Otherwise I love it for English beers.
Once again...a noob question.... explain 'dough balls'..... mushy mash?  ???
So maybe .5# or 1# of rice hulls when I do my stouts later this summer? I've been reading they help stuck sparges?

Dough Balls are when you are adding the crushed grain to the mash water and it clumps up into balss instead of easily mixing ing.  Then you have to stop to break them up.

Beer_Tigger said:
Dough Balls are when you are adding the crushed grain to the mash water and it clumps up into balss instead of easily mixing ing.  Then you have to stop to break them up.
oh..... makes sense....but (again, pardon my ignorance.....so much to learn here) I thought we weren't supposed to add the grain to the water, but the water to the grain.....or is this yet another different technique that I will learn some day? :eek:

I usually fill my mash tun with the desired amount of water, let it heat the mash tun then stir in my grain.

Back