• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First batch in 15 years off and running...

applecrew135

Apprentice
Reaction score
Started my first batch in 15 years last night - a dunkelweizen with WLP300 yeast. Brewing went smoothly but was rather hectic due to lack of practice...

Chilling with ice bath went smoothly and I pitched the yeast around 9:30 last night. I'm a little worried about sanitation, but I'm pretty sure everything will turn out well.

So, about 14 hours after pitching, I'm seeing activity. Krausen is starting to build and I got the first blip out of my airlock. Cool! It's exciting to see the progress!

Yay!! Welcome back to it! ;D I'm sure things were a lot tougher 15 years ago. I couldn't imagine doing this without Beersmith or some other such progams.
Was this an AG or part/full extract?
I love getting up the next morning and seeing the airlock boppin' away or the bubbles in the bucket when I've got a blowoff tube in the sanitizer bucket.

It's an extract recipe w/ specialty grains. I'm psyched... getting 12 bubbles / minute (completely subjective measurement). It's taking off nicely, and I'm beginning to smell cloves & bananas. I'm one happy camper!

Last time around I was using some software to work on recipes, but do not remember the name of it. I find the newer recipes tools very good! I've got a trial on BeerSmith and also Brewer's friend recipe builder. Don't know which I will stay with in the long term, will have to wait and see.

Well, here I am, two weeks later and wanted to give a follow-up. My batch spent a total of 15 days in the primary. It was probably ready to bottle after 7 days, but I was forced to wait another week as I was out-of-town. Yesterday was a busy day for me - cleaning and sanitizing my bottling equipment and bottles. I was so anxious to see my brew that the delays, though necessary to complete the bottling process, started getting on my nerves.

I boild up the priming sugar (aiming for abut 3.5 volumes per style guide), let it cool and added it to my bottling bucket. I then opened the primary for the first time and wasn't overly impressed - it smelled OK - bananna nose, but looked a little darker than I expected. As I racked to the bucket, I finally got a good look at the color in the tubing, and then saw that the color was pretty much what I expected, so I was a little less apprehensive and felt more confident.

Gravity (1.013) was within 1 point of value suggested by BeerSmith (1.014), so that was right on. Bottling went smoothly and my yield was what I anticipated.

I tasted some, and it was a little disappointing, felt a little thin, flavors not that pronounced, and a little less sweet, but I have to keep in mind that it's raw, unconditioned and flat.

So, I'll have to be patient a little while longer. Been reading Classic Beer Styles 'German Wheet Beers', for conditioning tips, so it'll be 3 to 5 days at 65-70 degrees and then chiiling for two weeks before I can get a real taste of my creation. Let's hope for a happy outcome!

Back