• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low OG

R

Rushman

I crushed 12# 2 Row Pale Ale. I used a JSP Maltmill and the grain was "not" crushed to a powder. The OG going into the boil is .30 and I will still have to add a gallon ( to get to 5)of water before pitching. Did I not crush the grain fine enough? Why so low OG.

Just found out that I was checking the OG at a way to high temp. Since I have it cooled down to 78 now it is reading 42. I still would have though it to be at least .50
since I used 12 #.  thanks

Heather?

As I said on another board, with those numbers I suspect, in addition to the crush, that you have problems with your sparge process.  Could you describe this in detail please, including what kind of sparge (fly/continuous or batch), flow rates, how long you sparged for, and your volumes (how many gallons when you measured the gravity)  lots of detail please Heather.

Fred

Back