• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sparging Temperatures

alfista

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

Now that I have a feel that I generally understand the all grain process better, I'm getting ready for batch number #2. I have an IPA kit/recipe that I'm trying to replicate in BeerSmith. Here's the problem I'm facing...

I'm selecting 'Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge'

It corrects the liquor temp to 168.7 degrees to hit 154 degrees at mash in.

However, when viewing the Brew Log/Recipe, it suggests a sparging water temp of 168 degrees which, as I understand it, should be a target temperature - the sparging water should be corrected upward to land at 168. Is this method correct, and if so, any ideas why it is not reflected properly in beersmith? Or is this an ID10-T error on my part?

Thanks!

The Mash Out step is what raises the mash temp to 168F.  This step is skipped by many homebrewers, including myself.  168F is the recommended temp for the sparge water.

Fred

Thanks Bon,

Just so I understand, is it omitted from the program because most home brewers do not do it, or was there an option I didn't select?

Thanks!

Jason

Jason,
 You can get the "mash out" step if you select any of the mash profiles that include a mash out.  The mash out step raises the temperature of the whole mash to stop conversion and start the sparge.

However, quite frankly I generally brew with no mash out step.  Its really a matter of preference.

Brad

Back