• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Northern Brewer Hop Shots

sunadmn

Apprentice
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I am still pretty new to BSv2 and am trying to work on a Pliny the Younger clone recipe which calls for Hop Shot extract. I am having one heck of a time trying to add this as a custom hop. I have seen people talk about this in the forum and even one mention of it being available in the form of an add-on; which I cannot find. Could anyone help me with how to add this correctly so my AA isn't so crazy off?

Thanks,
-Stephen

From everything I've read on here, and what little I've tried, my understanding is you can add anything by going to the 'insert' pulldown, 'add hops', and fill in the information. Might take a bit of research to get the numbers right, but that should get you where you need to be. I added my local water info that way.

Here is the answer I got from Northern Brewer so I thought I would share in case anyone else is looking at doing the same sort of thing:

Hi Stephen,

That's rather tricky... It doesn't work exactly the same. The utilization of hopshot in higher gravity wort differs greatly from using actual hops in the boil in different gravity worts. Beersmith software doesn't really cope well with dealing with the different utilization of Hopshot and normal hops in the same recipe.

Here's what I do, formulate your recipe with some generic bittering addition hop just to get the kind of IBUs that you are looking for, then use either our instructions or HopUnion's calculator to replace that bittering addition with your needed amount of HopShot.

If you are using HopUnion's calculator, you will need to enter your numbers in barrels (5 gallons is .161 barrels), and you will get a result in grams of alpha acid. There are between .9 and 1 grams of alpha acid per mL of Hopshot.

Hopefully that info helps, and I'm sorry that it's not straightforward for use in Beersmith.

Cheers,
Gabe
Original Message

Back