• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Changes to recipes not saving

DJAllen

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there fellow brewers,

I've a small but frustrating issue with my install of beersmith that I hope some of you may have come across and found a fix for. Every so often, changes that I make to an existibng recipe or new recipes are lost when I restart beersmith. Not much of a problem when I just need to update the FG after racking but a bit more frustrating with a major rewrite.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

David

I've had problems where I thought I had made changes, but they never saved. Mostly because I would leave the Beersmith app open and other users would login to the computer or shutdown the computer and for some reason my changes wouldn't save. Not so much with recipes, but more specifically with ingredient inventory and equipment profiles.

I'd like to see the whole recipe file architecture changed so that each recipe is a unique file and each recipe folder is a proper sub-folder on the hard drive. 'Save As' could actually mean something if it allowed you to choose where you want to save the recipe (NAS drive, USB, C Drive, My Documents etc) I cannot see the logic in having bsmx files in multiple places, each potentially containing multiple recipes or other data. Just seems strange to me when the rest of the world (Word processors, spreadsheets etc) just let you treat these creations as stored files.

Changes like this may also assist with the OP's issue, especially if there was a working autosave feature.

MD

I agree. I have no idea what file does what. And it's no wonder that the program is a mess. If something crashes you lose everything. Recipes are not to be taken that lightly. That means a 2nd means of storing recipes is required which makes you wonder "why bother with the first?".

Back