• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Roggenbier and Weizenbock Extract Recipes?

zeropanic

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi All,

I noticed on the Recipe Cloud there are not many Roggenbier and Weizenbock recipes which are extract based, does anyone have any recipe suggestions that I could try out?

Cheers,

Amos

Hi Zeropanic:

I asked a similar question about brewing a roggenbier using Northern Brewer's rye malt extract and got no response. The NB rye LME is only 30% rye and 70% barley, so it really would not work. I have not seen any other extracts out there that are pure rye, or a higher percentage.  Regarding use of NB's rye LME, I just posted by experience on this thread:

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,8187.0.html

Briess Rye CBW contains a higher percentage of rye, something in the region of 55% as I understand it, so would be suited to a Roggenbier. Apparently, its quite a new addition to Briess' extract line and I have finally found a supplier in the UK, so I'll let you know how I get on with it :)

I have a Dunkel Weizenbock that has won some awards. It is a partial mash, but you are more then welcome to it. Just let me know how it came out for you. Cheers!

Attachments

• Dunkel Weizenbock.bsmx
    22.1 KB · Views: 370
If you did a partial mash with rye malt, that would boost the rye flavors in the extract.  Two pounds steeped/soaked/mashed at 155F in a nylon mesh grain bag would do the trick. 

Given the difficulty of lautering >50% rye, that's probably how I would attempt one too. 

Back