• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hopped Extract Settings?

veedo

New Forum Member
Reaction score
hey guys, new to the forums but have been using beersmith for about a year now and love it, learning new features all the time.

but I am stumped on one thing, and that is pre hopped extract.  im not too crazy about using it to begin with, but we received a couple muntons beer kits, and need to brew them.  I have a couple 3.3 pound, 1.5kg cans of extract, one is hopped dark and one is hopped light.  on the back of the can it gives some specs,

solids 80-82
colour ebc 40-60
bitterness ebu 33-47

how do I go about entering this into beersmith?  I see the ibu-gal/lb, do I just enter the ebu there?  will do some more searching, but would apprectiate any help.  thanks!

Yeah I was trying to find some info for you out of curiousity...I wonder if you'd need to divide that IBU/EBU number by the number of pounds of extract, in this case, 3.3lbs?-at least that's how I interpret the field description.

To test this more than likely incorrect assumption, maybe play around with some recipes in that style to see what you get. :)

Contact Munton directly, at the link below, to see if they can tell you what batch sizes these ranges are coming from?
http://www.muntonshomebrew.com/homebrewing-help/

Sorry, not much help, but better than nothing I guess.hehe

late reply, but i received an email back from muntons i figured i would share.  if the ebu is 40, that means it is 40 ebu if the 3.3 pounds of extract is  diluted into 3.3 UK gallons, (3.96 us gallons).

Back