• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Timeline Calculation

donsmitty

Apprentice
Reaction score
The software doesn't take into consideration the dry hopping days when creating a timeline going from primary fermentation>secondary fermentation>bottling.  When I created the recipe I put in the dry hop days to equal 14 but the calculation from the software only gave me 10 days from secondary to bottling.  The other calculation I don't understand is:  I start my brewing on day 1 and BeerSmith calculates going to secondary on day 4.  Isn't that a little quick?  I would think primary would be at least 7 days or more.

Yep. Ignoring dry hop timing is a legitimate issue for BS.  Dry hopping and bottling are mashed together as a single step rather than a linear progression.

The four day primary issue is just a default to the profiles already in BS. The thing to do is either modify these, or use them as a template to create your own and/or customize them for each recipe. I shorten up the aging time to reflect actual carbonation time, since that is post packaging.

Back