• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help me with settings

Lollo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Lorenzo from Rome!
I'm trying to set my all grain equipment with BS2, but I've some problems.
My all grain system is very simple, just one mash/lauter tun (50l) with bazooka filter and another 50l pot for boil.
I usually use to make mah out and then another two batch sparge of equal water quantity in order to collect 30.5l of worth to boil.
I'm not sure what eq. profile I've to use and how to set my batch sparge.
Another question is about the dead space of my two pots: about 1.7l for the mash/lauter tun and about 1.5 for the boil pot. I lost about another 1l for chilling the worth into fermenter, how can I put this entry on my beersmith
Thank to all and sorry for my english

Lollo

You can create your own equipment profile which is what I would recommend.  There is a video here on creating equipment profiles:
  http://beersmith.com/video

For the batch sparge, in most cases if you simply pick a mash profile with batch sparge it will force a two step batch sparge with equal runnings unless the mash tun is too small.

For dead space - the 1.7 liters is your mash tun deadspace and the 1.5 + 1L is the trub loss (from boiler to fermenter).

Brad

Thank you Brad for your help!
I usually use a batch sparge profile but I can't find in the in the mash profile of the recipe where BS2 give me this two runnings for example under the mash step in the sparge window I can read "batch sparge with 2 step (1,57l 16,38l)" and I don't understand what means.
Sorry to disturb you again

Lollo

I am having trouble with creating my own equipment in BS2.

I use a stainless steel pot (30,5l) with BIAB and use the same pot for boiling. I guess I should put the dead space = 0 becasue the pot has no corners or recesses where the bag with malt can't reach?

I also wonder what "Loss to Trub and Chiller" means? I don't use any chiller and I don't know what value I should enter in this box to make the calculation as reliable as possible for my equipment.
I guess that trub refers to the bottom layer of dead yeast, proteins, etc in the fermenter. For me the amount of trub differ between my batches and depends more on what yeast I use, the amount of malt and the thickness of the grinding of the malt. It feels like this has not so much to do with my equipment. How should I appriciate a value for this?

Also I don't know what the differences between "Loss to Trub" and "Fermenter Loss" are? Isn't that the same thing?

Thanks in regard for helping me :)

You're right that "loss to trub" isn't really equipment-specific -- it's going to vary from recipe to recipe, depending on the amount of hops you're using, etc. My buddy and I brew 10-gal batches, and I basically leave 0.25 gals as my default "loss to trub". If you're not using a chiller, or you're using a coil chiller, you're not going to have any additional "loss to chiller". That's just for plate and counter-flow chillers, where you're probably going to have some wort left in the tubing after you're done.

The "loss to fermenter" refers to the amount of beer you lose during transfers. Like "loss to trub", that's not really a characteristic of your "equipment", unless you've got some kind of transfer process that forces you to lose some beer every time. It's usually a measure of how much beer is trapped in the yeast layers at the bottom of your bucket or carboy, and so again usually varies from batch to batch.

BeerSmith 2 does actually seem to create a unique copy of your equipment profile for each recipe, though, and you can actually override those specific settings from recipe to recipe. Your "main" profile is apparently just a starting template that sets the default values when you create a recipe.

Back