• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wyeast #1028 Wrong Amounts Showing

donsmitty

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just entered a recipe into BeerSmith2 and after entering Wyeast #1028 I clicked on Starter and under "Yeast packs to Use if No Starter" it shows I need 41 packs.  When I look at London Ale Yeast Wyeast #1028 it shows Viable Cells 5.00 Billion and not the 100.0 Billion that is should. 

Under INGREDIENTS --> YEAST Check the Package date, upper right hand corner.

If you want the viability to be accurate, the date has to be as well.

brewfun said:
Under INGREDIENTS --> YEAST Check the Package date, upper right hand corner.

If you want the viability to be accurate, the date has to be as well.

That takes care of it....however it spawns another question or two.  It looks like the yeast I have only has an expiration date on the package.  Is that what is entered?  Also, if I'm creating my own recipe and haven't bought the ingredients yet, how do I know how much yeast is required?  It would be nice to have the "yeast" page show you that without having to put in a date. 

I think there are some articles about dry yeast viability and storage on this forum.

As I recall, the expiration dates on dry reflect when you have 50% viability, when stored at room temp. That's about 2 years, in most cases. refrigeration extends the yeast's live, by quite a bit.

If there's any doubt, get fresh yeast. Your beer is worth the investment.

Back