• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

blending too strong of beer

rleazer

Apprentice
Reaction score
hello ladies and gentlmen,

I made the mistake of undersparging with a dark saison the other day and ended up with about 5 instead of 6 gallons in the fermentor by the end of the brew day.  the wort tasted too bitter about 1/2way thru the boil.  I added a 1 lb fig puree to the boil near the end (this is a fig saison experiment); hopefully this will round out the flavor.  I think I also may have put too much midnight wheat (about 4-5%) in the grist. 

henceforth, my thoughts are to blend a light saison (4.5-5.5%abv) into this.  Does anyone have any thoughts as to how i should design the recipe for the blending beer?  I want to keep it pretty basic to make it easy to blend with.  I'll hop similarly to the dark beer (and probably less).

thanks!

Why didn't you just top it off in the fermentor?  I come up short by a half gallon or more quite often and just top it off with water from the tap. I'm on a well, so my water is free of chemicals. Don't know about your water. You could always keep a few gallon jugs of boiled or bottled water on hand if you've got smelly city water.

I would try it stronger just to see if I like it and then just blend with water in the serving glass if I didn't.

+1 to Maine Homebrewer. You can always add boiled and chilled H20 to the fermenter if you need more volume and/or weaken the final product.

Back