• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Simcoe

S

Shakey_Dog

I just bought some Simcoe hops for a brown that I will be making this weeked as a replacement for the Target that I have used in the past for bittering.

It is not the profiles for Beersmith and I was wondering if anybody has used it.

Don

I haven't used it but had it in a single hop pale ale at GABF last year.  That is the hop that pushed me into trying pale ales (seems everyone around me thinks it isn't a pale ale unless it is cascade)

Give iy a go,

Fred

This is about all I could find on it doing a quick web search:

Simcoe:  Used for its aromatic and especially for its bittering properties due to its low cohumulone content.
New variety release 2000, unknown pedigree. Unique pine like aroma,  used for aromatic and bittering qualities. Not overly vigourous growth. Alpha Acid 12-14%

The alpha is the critical piece you need - so I would probably go with 13% alpha acid when entering it in BeerSmith.

Brad

Cool guys thanks!

I have 1 oz and will be using it at 60min for brown today.

Don

The Brown turned out great. 

Yesterday I used 4 oz in an IPA and I have another oz to dry hop with.  :eek:

Great flavor.

A couple of years ago I tasted an IPA using simcoe and amarillo that was pretty good.

I really like these.  I used them in a BIG IPA and flaver and aroma are incredable ;D

Strong pine and grapefruit thing going on. 

We just need to get them added to Beersmith.

I would highly recommed trying them.

Don

Download the Hop Variety Data Book from this link (PDF) It describes all known commercial hops with Data. Good reference to keep handy. http://www.hopunion.com/sitemap.shtml

I have used it in a double IPA and it was pretty good. Very citrusy with pine notes. Very nice.

My all Simcoe 2IPA just won a gold in a local compatiton :)

I guess everybody likes Simcoe ;)

It seems like the favorite in ipas right now is simcoe and amarillo.  I just did a magnum with simcoe as aroma and flavor and kegged it today.  I dry hopped with an ounce of whole leaf simcoe, boy did it taste great.  One thing, though, I'm not sure how big the supply is for simcoe or amarillo in the whole leaf. 

I don't know about the leaf but I have had no problem getting the pellets

Back