• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't choose all BJCP 2008 styles

canadrian

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I was trying to create a recipe for a Belgian Wit this morning. When I tried to find it in the list, however, category 16A (and many others are missing):

These are the only ones I have to choose from.

I went to the Styles.bsmx file and all of the styles are there, so I'm not sure why I can't pick them when creating a new recipe.

I switched my settings to choose the FADOL 2007 guidelines, then back to the BJCP to see if it would reset, but I get the same issue. Restarting the program doesn't help either. I made a robust porter exactly three months ago without issue and I now see that is missing as well, so something happened between now and then.

Anyone have any thoughts before I try to do a full reinstall?  ???

Thanks for the reply, beernburbon. 

I tried a reboot of the PC, and a reinstall of the program, but neither worked.

I noticed that I had a separate Styles.bsmx in my Beersmith data directory. When I looked in it, this is the incomplete one BeerSmith seems to be using. I also had 5 additional files of all bsmx files (Styles.bsmx, Styles1.bsmx...Styles5.bsmx) which I assume were backups.

I backed up and removed all 6 Styles bsmx files from my BeersSmith data directory and restarted BeerSmith. The files were copied back again (presumably from the C:\Program Files (x86)\BeerSmith directory) and voila, I'm back in business!

No idea what corrupted the original in my BeerSmith data directory. I store the data directory on my NAS, and I have run into hiccups with databases stored on it before (I'm looking at you, Calibre) so maybe that was a cause. If it happens again, I will look into storing the folder locally.

slaves to technology, we are. Wasn't this stuff supposed to make our lives simpler???  :eek:
Odd that a re-install didn't fix it, unless it does a 'quicky' uninstall.... I've had those where I have to chase down all the files that were infiltrated by the program, cuz the issue is in (like yours was) those files.... pain in the tukus if ya ask me.
Glad you got it fixed up though, I'd hate to lose my recipes.....

Back