• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

FG calculation estimating 85% attenuation

MichaelBrock

Apprentice
Reaction score
In preparation for the AHA's Big Brew I entered the Belgian Blond recipe into Beersmith:

8.5 lb (3.86 kg) German Pils malt
2.0 lb (0.9 kg) American pale malt
13.0 oz (369 g) dextrose (corn sugar)
White Labs WLP530
(plus hops)

5 gallon batch with 75% brewhouse efficiency.  Mash at 152 for 60 minutes.

The recipe indicates an OG of 1.065 and FG of 1.015 for 6.7% ABV

Beersmith estimates an OG of 1.066 and FG of 1.010 for 7.4% ABV.  Beersmith is estimating an over-all attenuation of 85%.  The yeast WLP530, is listed in Beersmith as having a range of 75-80% attentuation.

In my research on this issue I found an explanation that Beersmith uses the average of the max and min attenuation (which would be 77.5%).  It also takes account of the mash temperature but judging from the settings for this that should be less than a 2% adjustment. 

Why such a high attenuation estimate?  What am I missing?

Hi,
  Its due to your sugar.  Sugar ferments at a much higher attenuation (even with brewers yeast) and BeerSmith 2 takes this into account, which is why you are getting higher overall attenuation.  If you take the sugar out you will find it is very close to your average attenuation for the yeast.

Brad

Ahh, I  knew that adding sugar would lower the final attenuation but didn't realize that it would take it out of range for the yeast.    Thanks!

Back