• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1st batch in years did not carbonate ?

ouldefauder

Apprentice
Reaction score
How much corn sugar should you add to secondary before bottling for a batch size of 5 gallons and do you need to boil it in ? quantity of water before adding it?

Add to secondary?  Do you mean add to the bottling bucket/carboy before bottling?  That's what I'm assuming. 

I typically use between 4-5 ounces (weighed on a gram scale) for a five gallon batch (adjusted for actual final volume).  I tend to think that 4 oz would be on the low side (mild to medium carbonation) and 5 oz more on the high side.  I tend towards the high side because that's the way I like them (undercarbed beers annoy me). 

I usually add about half a quart of water to the pan, then add the sugar, get it boiling, cover (while still boiling), then cool it covered and add it to the sanitized bottling carboy.  Then I add the beer on top of the sugar, making sure to get a slight swirl during racking (ensures even mixing). 

Agree with alcaponejunior. The only difference is that I use a lower sugar/water ratio for solving the sugar.
In my system this would mean: 142gr/0.142L. In your system this would mean: 5oz/0.15quart.
R, Slurk

I just bottled with 3.8oz corn sugar for a batch that is just shy of 4 gal and I have zero carbonation after 1 week.  What gives?

JimPony said:
I just bottled with 3.8oz corn sugar for a batch that is just shy of 4 gal and I have zero carbonation after 1 week.  What gives?

At what temperature did you store your bottles after bottling?
What type of beer did you brew?

I recently had a lager that was 8 weeks old before I bottle it. The only way I got it to carbonate was to raise the temp to 70 degrees for two weeks.

ihikeut said:
I recently had a lager that was 8 weeks old before I bottle it. The only way I got it to carbonate was to raise the temp to 70 degrees for two weeks.
Held bottle at around 67deg F. I do not have complete control of the temperature, is colder at night and warmer in day. Basement environment. Since then I have increased sugar and results are better.

alcaponejunior said:
Add to secondary?  Do you mean add to the bottling bucket/carboy before bottling?  That's what I'm assuming. 

I typically use between 4-5 ounces (weighed on a gram scale) for a five gallon batch (adjusted for actual final volume).  I tend to think that 4 oz would be on the low side (mild to medium carbonation) and 5 oz more on the high side.  I tend towards the high side because that's the way I like them (undercarbed beers annoy me). 

I usually add about half a quart of water to the pan, then add the sugar, get it boiling, cover (while still boiling), then cool it covered and add it to the sanitized bottling carboy.  Then I add the beer on top of the sugar, making sure to get a slight swirl during racking (ensures even mixing).
Yes from a bottling pail; and I boiled 155Grams of sugar in 2 cups of water. Left for 3 weeks at 68-70 Degrees. Just bottled two more batches and I do not think the capper was correctly set up first time. This time I had it much closer to the bottle and rotated it 180 deg for second strike. Caps look totally different. I should know in a month.

Back