• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Addition of Lactos changes Expected Original Gravity and Grain Weight

vdeckard

Apprentice
Reaction score
When adding Lactos to my recipe, my Expected OG will change.  However, I understand that Lactos is non fermentable, therefore it shouldn't change.  Also, the lactose is included in the grain bill, thereby changing the pounds of grains which affects the mash thickness and strike water needed.  This means that when I am constructing a recipe, I have to leave the Lactos out in order to get proper readings. 
I've noticed that several people have written in about this, but I don't see that this topic has been addressed.  How can we go about fixing it?
Thanks,
And thanks for an otherwise great software.
Vera

Even though lactose does not ferment from brewing yeast, it is still a sugar; Therefore it will absolutely raise both the OG and the FG.  If you check the box "add after the boil" then it will still show up in grain total, but will not affect the mash water quantities.

Beezer94 said:
Even though lactose does not ferment from brewing yeast, it is still a sugar; Therefore it will absolutely raise both the OG and the FG.  If you check the box "add after the boil" then it will still show up in grain total, but will not affect the mash water quantities.
Okay, I understand that.  But maybe I am being dense...Does it not then interfere with my expected final gravity?

Beezer94 said:
If you check the box "add after the boil" then it will still show up in grain total, but will not affect the mash water quantities.

Even though you check the box "add after the boil" or add it during the boil (say 15 minutes from knockout), beersmith still includes the lactose in the PRE-BOIL gravity estimates.  Brad acknowledged that this is a bug when I reported it (about 6 months ago).

Back