• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

M

Mindflux

I'm testing out beersmith as a promash user and this little bit here confuses me.

I'm trying to Batch Sparging, but here's how I usually do it.

1) Add X (around 3-3.5) gallons to mash to get to target temp (in this next session, 152)
2) Let sit 60-90 minutes
3) Add X gallons (about 2-2.5 usually) of 190+ (varies on grain bill) water to get as close to 168 as possible, and drain off.

This gives me half of my brewing wort (the thicker runoff)

4) I then add X gallons (3.5-4) at 170* to get the other half of my runoff.

After runoff I usually have 6.5-7 gallons of wort in my kettle, enough to boil down to 5.5 (lose 5 to kettle space).

With beersmith, it wants me to add 17.19 quarts (4.30 gallons), and mentions no other steps.

If I chose Single Infusion, Medium Body (No batch sparge) it has an addional mash out step of 9.63quarts @ 198.2 (to get 168 ) degree mash out.

Adding those two totals together gets me 5.70 gallons.  (figure a gallon or so lost to grain absorption) Which is not enough to brew and get my final volume of 5.5 (5 in the kettle). However.. why does this seem so out of whack with my normal session? Where's the rest of the volume required to be added?

Oh yeah, basically I try and get my two runoffs to be about equal volume....

Just FYI.  (The way I'm used to it).

This seems like the bulk of the volume is the first runoff.. followed by a very small 2nd runoff possibly?

The batch sparge steps show up on the "Preview brewsheet" view.

If you want equal size batch sparge steps check the box "Sparge using equal size batches" in the mash profile details, and then take a look at what you get in the brewsheet view.

This should give you equal size batch steps.

Brad

Yeah, when I use the Batch Sparge option, I get equal sizes. Howver if I want a mash out option... I use the "Single Infusion Medium Body"

And it does a Mash In and Mash Out, and the rest of the sparge water is an insignificant amount (like 2 gallons).

I add 30% of my water as mash in, 20% as mash out and the other 50% as the Sparge. (or there abouts).

Mindflux,
 You can easily create a batch sparge version of the "Single Infusion, Medium body."   Go to the mash profiles view and make a copy of this profile.  Then edit your copy and give it a new name and set the batch sparge options.  You can now use this new mash profile in any of your recipes.

Cheers!
Brad

Back