• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

dry Munich yeast... it's a monster!

Maine Homebrewer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Holy cow that stuff is energetic! I've got most of a foot of headspace in the carboy I use as a primary fermenter, and it managed to clog and push out the airlock. Never seen anything like it. Pitched rehydrated yeast around 80 degrees Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning it had only cooled to mid 70s but was obviously active. Brought it to the basement and by evening it was down to the high 60s, but had already pushed out the airlock and bung. Came home today to find it had settled down, but also cooled to high 50s. Brought it back up from the basement to finish. Figure by the weekend it will be done, at which point I'll rack it and cold crash it to try to get the non-flocculating yeast to settle out. Smells like a banana and some cloves did the nasty, so I'm thinking it will taste like a hefe.

Anyone else had similar experiences with this yeast?

Yep. I followed the directions which said to rehydrate. Safale and Saflager directions say to sprinkle onto the wort, so that's what I do.

Maine,  not trying to convince you to come over to the dark side, but Fermentis seems to say either or for the homebrew instructions, and rehydrate for all others?

fermenting at 80 will cause blowouts.

i almost had a blowout fermenting my stout at 69. i had to unclog the holes in the airlock about 9 times!

Back