• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer Naming

kedro38

Brewer
Reaction score
After finishing a boil I dropped my finished mash when an oven mitt got hooked and ended up burning my foot… thus naming the beer I was making for the first time Hot Foot Honey Ale!  I then realized that every beer I have named was a result of an accident that occurred when making a beer for the first time. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had my luck or if this is just me.

kedro38
Names based on small histories/accidents/funny stories, I love them!

What about your learning curve? This could be a dangerous hobby for you ;)

Regards,
Slurk

LoL, that's good!  I've named mine after family, movie clips, songs, artists.  My Oktoberfest ale was named Burning Towel due to my burner lighting a towel that was too close.

Mark

Very True… but the upside is that not all names have come from physical injuries.  The first brown I made was named Shoelaced Nut Brown because a shoelace that I was using at the end of a floating thermometer fell into the wort when I untied it.  That was a small accident but a fitting name for a brown… or at least I think.

kedro38 said:
Very True… but the upside is that not all names have come from physical injuries.  The first brown I made was named Shoelaced Nut Brown because a shoelace that I was using at the end of a floating thermometer fell into the wort when I untied it.  That was a small accident but a fitting name for a brown… or at least I think.

We all do strange things from time to time. I am always curious how things taste and had a bad experience when I took a large spoon of trub that was left after the boil. It was extremely bitter, didn't taste good and one day later I still had the awful taste in my mouth :eek:
R,Slurk

I made an IPA and wanted some darkness for some reason and named it Alice Cooper's Black IPA.  (for what ever reason???)  It tastes great, ..but tastes nothing like an IPA,..more of a porter. 

kedro38 said:

ok, so maybe I'm kinda lame, but I love puns, so I always take the similar commercial/craft brew and tear it up into a punny name..... Your stories are MUCH funnier! I'm still trying to get a name for my brewery.....  :-\ I seem to have a creative block when it comes to that. I'm a Professional Land Surveyor, and I really love GPS work, so right now I'm at Satellite Brewery..... eh.... is ok, just not as cool as some I've seen.  :p

I am a pastor.  My church named my favorite beer (an oatmeal stout) Pastormeister.  It just stuck.  Then my garage where I brew wound up getting named Humble Brewery because it gives a nod to faith but also to the rather poor state of my garage and brewing gear.  I get all kinds of preacher and liquor puns passed around.  Some stick some fall away.  It is always entertaining.

kedro38 said:
Not sure if your taking suggestions or not but Beaten Path Brewery come to mind.

Always up for suggestions! Beaten Path.....hmmm.....maybe too early for my brain to kick in, but not sure I get it?  :eek:
Although it does harken back to some of the ways we got our roads..... we always take the path of least resistance: walking path to horse trail to wagon trail to dirt road to paved road..... all within a few feet of where they started....
Dunno, maybe as I'm brewing today it'll just smack me upside the head.

Humble Brewer said:
I am a pastor.  My church named my favorite beer (an oatmeal stout) Pastormeister.  It just stuck.  Then my garage where I brew wound up getting named Humble Brewery because it gives a nod to faith but also to the rather poor state of my garage and brewing gear.  I get all kinds of preacher and liquor puns passed around.  Some stick some fall away.  It is always entertaining.

Love that! That's the kind of thing I'm looking for....the double meaning that those in the know would get not only the obvious, but the less obvious.

Back